Philip H. Lowenthal, Of Counsel
Philip Lowenthal has been Of Counsel with Menzer Law Firm since 2012 and has practiced law in Hawaii for more than 40 years.
The first Deputy Public Defender on Maui, Phil specializes in federal criminal defense and civil litigation, including complex personal injury cases. He is an accomplished trial lawyer and an expert on both the Federal and Hawaii Rules of Evidence who is also known for his legendary Evidence seminars.
Phil has an AV Preeminent peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest recognition possible in the legal industry, for his professionalism and ethics. He has also been named a Best Lawyer in America for the last 25 years.
- University of California (Berkeley) B.A., 1966
- University of California (Berkeley) J.D., 1969
Bar and Court Admissions
- State of Hawaii, 1970
- State of California, 1970
- U.S. District Courts Hawaii, Northern California, 1970
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 1982
- U.S. Tax Court, 2009
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1978
- Law Office of Philip H. Lowenthal, 2002 – Present
- Menzer Law Firm PLLC, Of Counsel, 2012 – Present
- Lowenthal & August, 1981 – 2002
- State of Hawaii, Supervising Deputy Public Defender, Maui County, 1970 – 1979
Pro Bono/Community Service
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1979 – present
- American Board of Criminal Lawyers, 1979 – present
- Hawaii Supreme Court Permanent Committee on Rules of Evidence, 1993 – present
- Hawaii Supreme Court Disciplinary Board, Board Counsel, 2018 – present