Seattle Surgical Errors Lawyers
Seattle has many well-respected hospitals, including the University of Washington Medical Center, Virginia Mason Medical Center, and Swedish Medical Center-Cherry Hill. When you go to one of these hospitals or another facility in Seattle, you expect to receive excellent care. You expect to leave better than when you were admitted, or at the very least, no worse off.
Unfortunately, we regularly receive calls from patients who suffered preventable harm related to a surgical procedure in a Seattle hospital. If you or a loved one are suffering from a surgical error, contact our Seattle medical malpractice lawyers at Menzer Law Firm right away.
Common Surgical Errors
Our medical malpractice attorneys in Seattle are here to represent you if you or a family member suffered harm due to any type of surgical mistake. Some of the most common and egregious surgical errors include:
- Leaving Objects in Body: One of the most frequent surgical mistakes is a surgeon or other member of the staff leaving a sponge, medical device, or object inside of you. This can lead to all types of side effects, including infections.
- Nerve Damage: Surgeons must be extremely careful not to puncture, tear, or cut tissue around the relevant area. Surgical mistakes that result in a surgeon cutting one or more nerves can lead to permanent injuries, including loss of sensation and motor function in an area of your body.
- Punctured Organs: A common and sometimes dire surgical mistake occurs when a surgeon nicks or punctures a nearby organ, such as the liver or the bowel. In the best-case scenario, the surgeon notices the mistake and takes immediate corrective action. However, we have represented individuals who suffered serious harm, like sepsis, because the surgeon did not notice their mistake quickly enough.
- Infection: You might think that hospitals are some of the cleanest places you can be, but this is often not the case. If the surgical team does not maintain a sterile environment, you may suffer from a hospital-acquired infection.
- Anesthesia Mistakes: Your surgical team is made up of several physicians and nurses, including an anesthesiologist, who is in charge of ensuring you remain unconscious during the procedure while also receiving the necessary amount of oxygen. Our Seattle medical malpractice lawyers have represented many individuals who were injured due to an anesthesia error.
- Wrong Site: We have represented individuals who underwent the correct procedure on the wrong area of the body. For example, you may have been admitted into the hospital for a discectomy only to have the neurosurgeon perform the procedure on the incorrect vertebrae. In some cases, the surgeon performs the procedure on the wrong side of the body.
- Wrong Procedure: You may wake up from surgery only to learn that the physician performed the wrong surgery on you. Or, the surgeon may have performed what they believed to be the correct procedure but not the one you consented to.
When is a Poor Surgical Outcome Medical Malpractice?
There is no guarantee that a surgical procedure will go perfectly and have the desired outcome. Based on your current health and other risk factors, you may suffer a side effect or complication during or after surgery. Some complications are unfortunate but known risks of medical care, and they are typically not considered medical malpractice.
Your physician is not liable for a complication if it was a naturally occurring outcome of your condition and the procedure, and your physician treated you within the standard of care.
Medical malpractice is the result of a physician failing to meet the required standard of care and causing you preventable harm. This is also known as medical negligence. Many surgical errors, like the ones described above, are preventable and should not occur when you receive proper medical care.
If you are suffering from an additional or worse medical condition following a surgical procedure, you should speak with a Seattle medical malpractice lawyer about whether you are suffering from a recognized complication or medical negligence.
Our attorneys at Menzer Law Firm will scrutinize your medical records and determine whether your physician met Washington’s standard of care or was negligent.
Compensation for a Surgical Error in Seattle
If you have suffered from a surgical error due to a careless physician or nurse, contact us at Menzer Law Firm right away. We are here to represent you in a medical malpractice claim and to fight for you to receive full and fair compensation, including for your:
- Past and Future Medical Bills
- Lost Wages
- Pain and Suffering
- Emotional Distress
- Reduced Earning Potential
- Lower Quality of Life
Contact Menzer Law Firm Today
If you were harmed because of a surgical error, or your loved one was the victim of a fatal surgical mistake, do not hesitate to contact us at Menzer Law Firm. You have a right to know what went wrong in the operating room and why. Doctors and hospital administrators are rarely forthcoming when mistakes have been made, which is why you should contact an experienced medical malpractice attorney in Seattle.
You can reach us through our online form or call us at (206) 903-1818 to schedule a free case evaluation.